Thursday 31 May 2007

The greatest race ever run

You must watch the link below.
It is footage of a horserace I have been wanting to see for years. It is every bit a wonderful as I remembered it, with the wrong horse winning.
Crisp was giving Red rum about 24 lbs. in the Grand national, a race nearly 4 and a half miles long, with 30 fences, if I remember correctly.
It still makes me weep, and not just for the money.
Is it just me, or do others agree? I would like to read comments. Does anyone else have a favorite race? Through youtube, I found some great races, by Shergar, Barbero, Secretariat and Ghostzapper. There are probably more.
You need to listen to the commentary on the National as well, really. Peter O'Sullevan is superb.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8W2spvCcWs

1 comment:

Libby said...

I actually watched all 9+ minutes of that race, and I had goosebumps at the end. Who knew horse racing could be so exciting? I do enjoy your blogging, Paddy. Keep it up!